Monday, March 31, 2014

UW Farm Newsletter March 31 - April 6

The Weekly Dirt
View this email in your browser

Hello Farmers!

Welcome to Spring Quarter, where frisbees fly and class is skipped. Here's your Dirt for the week:

T-Shirts
Time's running out to get your hands on a UW Farm t-shirt. Work on your farmer's tan with the only UW Farm approved shirt. Check 'em out below and 
pre order today!

Compost Crew
The Compost Crew will meet at the Botany Greenhouse every 
Monday from 10a-11a starting March 31st! We have an active worm bin right now, so bring your compost from home (coffee grounds, fruit and veggie leftovers, old newspapers, stale cereal grains, etc.). Wear comfortable shoes and clothes (dress for the weather). Questions? Contact Kay at chaik@uw.edu.

Future Farmers
Do you like kids and hanging out at the Farm? We need volunteers to help with 3rd grade field trips! No prior teaching experience necessary. We need folks Wednesdays, 4/30, 5/7, 5/14, and 5/21 from 
12:30-2:30. If you are interested contact Lauren at laurbear2@gmail.com.

Pizza Bake
The inaugural 
pizza bake of 2014 will be held April 11th at the Botany Greenhouse from 4p-7p. This is a great way to get to know your fellow Farmers and chow on some oven fired 'zaw. Sign up here


Spring Quarter Volunteer Hours
Botany Greenhouse:
-Monday: 8:30-12

Mercer Court Apartments:
- Wednesdays: 10am-1pm
Friday: 12-3pm

Center for Urban Horticulture:
-Tuesday: 9a-12pm
Thursday: 3-6pm
Friday:2-5pm

Work Parties (various):
-Every other Saturday

 
UW Farm t-shirts for sale! Pre order here.
THANKS LEXIE!
Our Botany Greenhouse Coordinator Lexie Nelson has graduated from her masters program and will be headed south to new adventures in the Bay Area. Congratulations, Lexie! You've been a fantastic leader and team member. We'll miss you!
My time spent working at the UW Farm has been such a wonderful and life changing experience.  Though I had done a lot of gardening before, this was the first time I had worked on a farm.  I came in not knowing very much and being really nervous about having a leadership position when I was still learning myself!  Thankfully, I was surrounded by the best group of people to help and support me whenever I needed.  I have learned such an incredible amount from these lovely friends in my short time at the farm. I feel prepared and confident to go out and use and share my new knowledge of growing food.  Not only have my farming skills increased tremendously, but I have a newly renewed sense of hope and inspiration from all of the great work done by such wonderful people.  All it takes is a small group of people to make a huge difference and I saw that first hand working at the UW Farm. A huge thanks to Sarah for all your support.  Keep growing!
Copyright © 2014 The UW Farm, All rights reserved.
You are receiving the UW Farm weekly newsletter

Our mailing address is:
The UW Farm
3501 NE 41st St, Seattle, WA
Seattle, WA 98105

Add us to your address book


unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp

No comments:

Post a Comment